Monday, February 18, 2008

Reading Hypertext.

First, I always think of links as being denoted by a royal blue color, the text of the link underlined. I think of links as having the little hand on Mac computers pointing to the link. Also, with the coming of new journalism and media websites, links are denoted with little pictures of the page that the link leads to.

In the "Weepers" website, I chose the block in the middle row of the first column. I chose this link because I figured that all the little pictures would be links and I thought that most people might choose the center image, so I wanted to avoid that.

After clicking that box, I was led to another box of moving text. I clicked on it right away, so I did not have a chance to see any of the words that popped up. After clicking that box, I was led to a completely black, blank page. I am not sure if it was blank because it just had not loaded, so I just moved the mouse and clicked on a random area where the little arrow turned into a hand. This took me to a screen of flashing photos, where again I assumed that these were links.

I clicked on a random photo and was brought to a page with what looks like a poem and three pictures of shoes that resemble Dorothy's. I moved my mouse over the three images because I again assumed that they were links, but before deciding which picture to click on, I decided that I should read the poem. I read the poem, moving my arrow over each word that I read. Because the pictures are links, I did not even think that the text of the poem would be a link, despite the underlining. The underlined text were links, and I expected the italicized text to be a link, as well, but it was not.

I clicked on the third image of the shoes because the pictures of the shoes intrigue me more than just some underlined text. I was brought to a screen with an image of a pretty codex with the words "Capriccio." Again, since this is the only thing on the page, I assumed it was a link. Then, I searched the page for what could possibly be any hidden links, but I did not find any.

Clicking "Capriccio" brought me to an open book with a few lines of text. An arrow at the bottom of the page is what I assumed to be the link, but again I searched for any other links that may have blended in with the page. The text was not a link, either. But after clicking to the next page, I saw that the text was a link. This distracted me and I nearly clicked it before reading the text. The picture on the page is also a link, and because the picture is so interesting, I clicked on it.

This led me to another page with a single graphic on it, with a few sentences of text underneath. The links are underlined in the text and the photo is a link as I guessed. I clicked the picture and found a page of just white text. There were two underlined portions of the text, and because we are about to be done with the activity, I did not bother to read the text and decided to click the longest block of text that makes a link. This led me to about three more pages of similar text, eventually leading to a page where I only noticed the name "ernest hemingway."

---

After meeting with my classmate, I learned that this was supposed to be a story. I did not have many pages with text, so I discussed with him that to me, I just thought it was a random arrangement of slides. Coming back to the last page, I see that the list of names it entitled "Famous shock-therapy patients" which seems very interesting. I am upset that I did not get to read more of the story.. the story that I did not even know was there :)