Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Mobile text intro blog

"In their view, the mobile phone is seen by users as an extension of their self. By the same token, the loss of a mobile phone is felt not just on the material level but also on the level of one's sense of physical self," (Katz 173).

Do you agree or disagree? Think about your relationship with your cell phone.


For my birthday, my mom bought me a Blackberry, the World Edition phone. She bought me this because I have been begging for a way to check my e-mail on my phone, and because if I get into my study abroad program, I will be able to use my cell phone in England.

Well, let me tell you--they do not call it a "Crackberry" for nothing. I am constantly on my phone, checking my e-mail messages, text messages and Google chat. It is absolutely ridiculous that one tiny phone could house that many modes of communication, but it does, and I allow it to run my life.

Instead of being completely convenient for me, my phone has now opened my life up to anyone who has to get in touch with me--at any time. It has made everyone else's life more convenient, as I am now available to them whenever they need.

It feels weird, like I do not have complete control over my life.. Even when I think I have a moment to breath, I do not, because I am soon beckoned by a text message from someone who needs something from me.

This is definitely adding to the stress level of our culture. While we expect information at our fingertips, sometimes this demand can go a bit far, and I definitely think that a Blackberry is an example of that.

Edit: My Blackberry decided not to work for two days, so even though I could get phone call (only half of the time), I could not receive text messages and everyone flipped. They complained that I was too hard to get a hold of.. Uh, e-mail?

Now I just like to make a habit of leaving my phone places so that I do not have to deal with people 24/7.

This whole Blackberry thing is making me grumpy.