Monday, March 3, 2008

Blogworthy

In this time period, I feel that truth is not something that comes easily. This has created what seems like a cloud of skepticism that seems to fall over everyone, and I see it most while working with the newspaper. Yes, there are a few reporters who have ruined things for the journalists who do make truth their only purpose for writing, but people have seemed to forget that it is because of journalists that our country knows as much about our government as it does.

With the increase of new technology that is gradually diminishing any sense of privacy that still exists, I believe that the typewriter does symbolize a simpler time where words were used to inform rather than to incriminate. Typewriters do evoke a sense of nostalgia, and therefore a sense of trust.

Personally, I remember viewing a movie about Watergate in middle school. The journalists then used typewriters, and even though Nixon’s people often referred to those at The Washington Post as ‘shoddy journalists,’ we know now that they were the opposite of shoddy. They used typewriters to uncover the truth about the President of our country, and I believe that typewriters are often used to depict these situations, causing our minds think of typewriters as symbols of truth.