Well, of course I had a problem with this project because there is no way I would ever be able to create something as amazing as "Carnival." I truly enjoyed looking at the panels and I only wish I could create something like that.
Going into this project, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I thought I'd open up Illustrator and create something even though I had never really done it before. I literally spent three hours teaching myself how to do different techniques, most of which did not actually end up on the final project because I just did not have enough time to complete anything that I started.. but I do know that now I want CS3 so that I can gradually work on creating something like what Steve McCaffery made.
I really have no way of describing what I created. I took my favorite quote (Thoreau) and replicated it a million times. I downloaded a brush that I really liked and decorated the page a bit. I decreased the opacity to most of the text so that it wouldn't look entirely too busy.. it still looks busy, but I feel that the less bold the color is, the more it works together.
I put some elements in a bolder opacity so that they would stick out. The quote was in one part very bold so that the viewer would know exactly what was being replicated. I took the word "foundation" and made that bigger and a different font in a few places because I felt that it was a strong word (and a really big part of the quote).
The shapes really do not have a meaning. I suppose this was my favorite quote, I wanted to choose some shapes that I like.. the Victorian-esque shapes and I have decorated my room with are my favorite & go along perfectly with my favorite quote.. and the colors are one of my favorite color combinations, as well, so I guess you could say that I just created something that I would like, using "Carnival" as my inspiration.
(The colors were also influenced by "Carnival.")
To me, "Carnival" looks like a map to me, with all the different textures signifying different types of land, like moutains, water, etc. I really enjoyed it :D
